2019-07-14

Life changes...

Hello to all my readers. Once again it's been a very long time since my last blog but there is a good reason for the silence. This is just a quick post to explain the changes I've decided to make in my life and how they should allow me more time for blogging in the future.


Basically, a few months ago and after much soul searching I made the difficult decision to resign from the job I had been doing for the last five and a half years. I felt I had largely completed the project I was initially hired to do and as my system reached maturity the job was evolving from software development more towards software maintenance, which isn't what I wanted to be doing. There seemed to be no opportunity for career advancement and little chance of moving out of the unsuitable office I was latterly required to work in, so the time had come to move on and seek a new challenge.

I had to work a longer notice period than I had hoped and handing over my work to colleagues was quite stressful so I didn't have the inclination for blogging during this time. I left that job in mid June and now have a short-term contract spending a couple of days per week in another department of the same university, working on a web development project for a Ph.D. student and her supervisor. I've just completed my first month there and I already feel much happier, more fulfilled and less stressed.

I'm finding plenty of things to keep me occupied for the rest of the week too, mostly catching up on jobs I wasn't enthused to do while working full-time such as cataloguing and uploading photos and updating my personal database project that had been neglected recently. The car show season is now in full swing and I seem to be out in the Maxi at an event almost every weekend and some weekday evenings too. All of these shows result in more photos to be catalogued and uploaded and potential material for the blog when and if I ever find time to write it all down. My favourite event of the year, the Festival of the Unexceptional, returns next weekend and that's always a rich source of content so you can expect some more car-related blogs very soon.

So that's where I am in my life at the moment - a new job and a fresh start. Thanks to everyone who has read and supported my ramblings over the last few years and I hope I can bring you lots more interesting content in the future.  

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...